Hyperbarics: The Best Anti-Aging Therapy?
Truthfully though, anti aging isn’t quite the right term. A more accurate term is reverse aging, because hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) has been proven scientifically to reverse the biological markers of aging in ways that no other pill, creme or therapy to-date can!
In fact, leading researchers and physicians are calling hyperbaric oxygen therapy the fountain of youth: Patients actually grow younger in a biological sense.
The first question I get is “isn’t this too good to be true?” The truth is that the healing benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy don’t happen over night. Hyperbarics requires you to invest a great deal of time and energy to achieve results. The issue though is that it does work. Benefits include you feeling:
- less pain in your body
- more energized, vital and able to engage in activities you had given up, perhaps decades ago
- quicker mentally and improvements to your memory
Patients often report improved wellbeing after one or two sessions of HBOT. However, the recommended protocol for reverse aging is up to 60 sessions.
From Wound Healing to Reverse Aging
HBOT has traditionally known for its applications in wound healing, preventing amputations resulting from diabetic foot wounds, and treating illnesses such as radiation damage. However, due to significant research over the past five years, Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is increasingly gaining recognition for its potential to slow down the aging process.
Researchers from Tel Aviv University and the Shamir Medical Center in Israel found some exciting data. Hyperbaric oxygen treatments in healthy adults can stop the aging of blood cells. It can even reverse the aging process. In essence, the study participants’ blood cells actually grew younger in a biological sense as treatments progressed.
Let’s examine some of the benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy as an anti-aging treatment, as shown in recent research.
Hyperbarics 101— What It Is
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized chamber. The air you breathe has 21% oxygen, whereas in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, you breathe 100% oxygen.
The atmospheric pressure around you at sea level is 1 ATA. Technicians use hyperbaric chambers to increase atmospheric pressure. The range is between 1.5 ATA and 2.8 ATA. This is based on the protocol recommended by the Undersea Hyperbaric Medical Association (UHMA) and leading research in the field.
This oxygen-under-pressure increases the oxygen concentration in your body by over 1200%. This process also enables oxygen to dissolve in bodily fluids. This dissolved oxygen can then reach areas of the body with limited blood flow.
Studies show that HBOT gives you a higher energy level and has few side effects. The most common side effect is patients needing extra time to clear their ears.
Benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for Anti-Aging
Researchers have known for years that hyperbaric oxygen therapy has a range of benefits. These include cellular regeneration and collagen production, reduced inflammation, improved cognitive function, and increased energy and vitality. Some recent breakthrough research though has shown that HBOT can actually help reverse biological aging.
Recent Major Breakthrough Research
The recent research identified mechanisms that reverse two processes associated with aging and resulting illnesses:
- Lengthening of telomeres. Telomeres are protective regions located at both ends of every chromosome in ever cell in your body. Normally, they grow shorter as the body ages until the cell dies. During hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatments, telomeres grow longer instead of shorter. Moreover, they did so at a rate of 20% to 38%, depending on the type of cell.
- Removal of old and malfunctioning or senescent cells in the body. Senescent cells are toxic to other healthy cells, so removing them helps strengthen surrounding cells. Cell death is a natural process. However, as we age, our bodies struggle to remove dying cells and replace them with new, healthy cells. During these studies, the presence of senescent cells decreased by between 11% and 37%, depending on the type of cell.
Researchers around the world are trying to find the holy grail of environmental and pharmacological treatments that can lengthen telomeres. Hyperbarics does this exactly. They proved that the aging process can be not only slowed, but biologically reversed at the cellular level.
Striking Research that We’ve Known for a While
We have known for years that hyperbaric oxygen therapy is beneficial. It helps patients feel better and function more like a younger person. Some of these benefits include:
- Cellular Regeneration and Collagen Production: One of the primary effects of HBOT is the promotion of cellular regeneration. Increased oxygen levels are essential to form new new blood vessels, stimulate collagen production, and enhance the healing of damaged tissues. Collagen, a vital structural protein, is responsible for maintaining the elasticity and strength of the skin, helping to combat wrinkles and fine lines commonly associated with aging. Many people report that friends and family tell them “you look so much younger! Did you do something special?” In our patients, we notice that it reduces small wrinkles and causes the skin to radiate a healthy glow.
- Reduced Inflammation and Oxidative Stress: Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress are major contributors to the aging process. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) has been proven to have anti-inflammatory effects. It reduces the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and increases the body's ability to neutralize dangerous free radicals. HBOT minimizes inflammation and oxidative stress. This helps to preserve and regenerate the integrity of organs, bone, tissues, and cells. Slowing down the aging process is a result.
- Improved Cognitive Function: As we age, cognitive decline becomes a concern for many individuals. HBOT has shown promising results in improving cognitive function, memory, and attention. The increased oxygen levels in the brain promote neuroplasticity, the brain's ability to reorganize and form new neurons and connections. This enhances cognitive abilities, potentially reducing the risk of age-related cognitive disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer's disease, and increasing brain processing speeds by up to 38%.
- Enhanced Energy Levels and Vitality. HBOT increases energy levels. It does this by enhancing mitochondrial function, which is the generator of energy in our cells. Additionally, it helps to harmonize some important hormones. HBOT increases oxygen supply, which optimizes cellular respiration efficiency. This boosts energy levels and enhances vitality. Renewed energy can have many benefits. It can improve well-being, motivation, and productivity. This enhances cognitive abilities. It potentially reduces the risk of age-related cognitive disorders, such as dementia and Alzheimer's disease. It also increases brain processing speeds by up to 38%.
- Accelerated Healing and Recovery: Aging is often accompanied by slower healing and increased recovery times. HBOT's ability to enhance collagen production, tissue regeneration, boost the immune system, and reduce inflammation can significantly accelerate healing processes. This includes helping aging skin by reducing or clearing sun damage and visible bruising. Whether recovering from an injury, surgery, or age-related conditions, HBOT can expedite recovery and improve overall quality of life.
Our Approach to Your Reverse-Aging Therapy
What can you expect as part of your treatment to help reverse biological aging in your brain and body? You will meet a member of our medical staff for any hyperbaric treatment.
They will discuss your medical history with you. After that, you will be medically cleared for hyperbaric oxygen therapy. One of our Nurse Practitioners (NPs) will be your personal guide, partner and health educator through your healing journey.
We take time with each patient. We look at you holistically. This includes understanding the various factors that support your life. Such as nutrition, exercise, sleep and other aspects that affect your life.
One of the key things we do is to help repattern your brain to effect specific changes you want to see. We can help you find the results you want to achieve.
These results include reducing pain, improving memory and processing speed, increasing range of motion, and improving balance. For a stroke patient, your goal might be to lift your hand. There are exercises we have you conduct while in the chamber to enhance cognition and coordination.
Meet with our Medical Staff to Reverse Your Biological Aging Today
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is revolutionizing the anti-aging industry, offering a safe and non-invasive approach to rejuvenation. Research shows that Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is a promising treatment to reverse biological aging. It has the ability to increase telomere length, enhance cellular regeneration, reduce inflammation, and improve cognitive function.
Optimizing bodily functions helps to mitigate the effects of aging at the cellular level. This can benefit your bones, organs, muscles, brain, and skin. It can also help decrease age related diseases and illnesses. HBOT enables you and your family members to not only look younger, but also feel more energetic and vibrant.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is quite safe. However, our medical staff must speak with you before starting any treatment. Proper guidance and personalized treatment plans can help you, your family, and your lovers harness the potential of HBOT. This will enable you to age gracefully and enjoy a more youthful and vibrant life.
Age does not define us. Science and treatments such as hyperbaric oxygen therapy can help us unlock secrets for a healthier life, no matter our age. We can lead fulfilling lives regardless of our age.